Captain Melody is designed to integrate with Captain Chords to create melodies which compliment your chord progressions created in Captain Chords. As such Captain Melody should be opened while there is an instance of Captain Chords connected in your DAW.
Opening Captain Melody in your DAW
For opening Captain Melody in your DAW go to section A-1
Connecting to Captain Chords
- Choose option to ‘CONNECT’ to Captain Chords.
Setting tab to link with Captain Chords
Captain Deep is designed to follow the chord progression created in Captain Chords for each individual tab, ‘VERSE’, ‘PRE CHORUS’, ‘CHORUS’ or ‘DROP’.
Jamming live with Captain Play
Similar to Captain Chords, Captain Melody can also be played live and recorded using the Captain Play tab. [For full details on Captain Play go to section A-6]
- Use keys A – J to trigger individual notes (pitches) within your chosen key & scale.
- Keys above and below row A – J will trigger the notes an octave above or below.
- Bracket keys [ ] will move the four octave range up or down.
Octave, note length and tension
When working inside tabs ‘VERSE’, ‘PRE CHORUS’, ‘CHORUS’ or ‘DROP’, the octave, note length and tension can be modified to taste.
- ‘OCTAVE’ – Use the arrow keys to select the desired octave between 1st & 7th.
- ‘NOTE LENGTH’ – Adjusting the length of the notes can be done by using the arrow keys under ‘NOTE LENGTH’ or clicking on the option and selecting from the five available note lengths.
- ‘TENSION’ – This option offers the addition of tension created through changing the notes within the melody to either: ‘IN HARMONY’ notes played back will be formed around notes which will harmonise with the chords and give a consonant feel with occasional dissonance. ‘IN SCALE’ notes played back will only be those which fall within the chosen key & scale. ‘CHORD NOTES ONLY’ notes played back will be limited to those which the current chord contains. ‘UNMODIFIED’ This setting will trigger the original, unmodified notes of the clip.
Rhythm & Pattern
When working inside tabs ‘VERSE’, ‘PRE CHORUS’, ‘CHORUS’ or ‘DROP’, the octave, rhythm and pattern can be modified to taste.
‘RHYTHM’ – Similar to Captain Chords, Captain Deep also has numerous ‘RHYTHM’ presets to choose from. [For more details see section A-3]
- ‘PATTERN’ – By clicking on the arrow keys – or clicking on the preset name to open the pattern browser – the pattern in which the melody is played can be altered to a number of presets. The pattern will retain the pre-selected rhythm, however the order of the notes played will be changed.
Sound presets and effects
Similar to Captain Chords, Captain Melody also has numerous sound presets and effects to choose from. [See section A-4 for full details]
Using bassline with 3rd party instruments
Similar to Captain Chords, Captain Melody can also use the generated MIDI to allow the sound source to come from a 3rd party soft-synth, or external hardware instrument. [See section A-12 for full details]